The 2018 CARDBOARD CLASSIC SLED RACE has been moved to
Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Albion Cardboard Classic Sled Race
moved to Saturday, February 10, 2018
at the Victory Park Sledding Hill
(Alternate Weather Date: Saturday, February 17, 2018)
Registration & Race Times
February 10, 2018 – (This is a FREE event!)
Pre-register at the Sled Building event on Saturday, January 27, 2018 from 9:00am -12:00pm at Albion Community Center located at Marshall Opportunity High School Cafeteria; 225 Watson Street; Albion
Register the day of event (February 10, 2018) at the Registration camper on site (Victory Park Seldding Hill).
- Sled Check-In and Inspections: 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Sled Design Judging at 11:15 AM
- Races Begin at 12:00 PM
Design and build a person powered, corrugated cardboard sled capable of withstanding the descent down the Sledding Hill at Victory Park! How creative can you be by using only corrugated cardboard as a building material? Come join us for this fun, FREE event!
- Visual Design Challenge
Class I: Bunny Hill (For young children who do not want to go down large hill)
Class II: Age 12 and Under Individual Rider
Class III: Age 13 and Above Individual Rider
- Class IV: Group: (All 2 or 3 person sleds)
- Best Design Award - Most spectacular Looking sled
- Spirit Award – Most spirited individual or organized team
- Fastest Sled Awards – 1st place trophies for the overall fastest sled times in each Race Class (Please note that there will be multiple heats per Race Class). Medals for 2nd and 3rd fastest sled times in each Race Class.
Rules for All Sleds:
Safety and fun are our objectives! Please follow these rules to ensure everyone has a safe and fun experience!
Construction– A Sled Building event will take place on Saturday, January 27, 2018 from 9:00am – 12:00pm at Albion Community Center located at Marshall Opportunity High School Cafeteria (225 Watson Street; Albion. Cardboard will also be made available(stored in a Haas Trailer) behind City Hallwhile supplies last for those who need it!
- Your sled must pass inspection in order to be allowed on the hill.
- Your sled must be free of sharp edges, pointy objects or any other feature that may be deemed as dangerous by the inspectors. If you are unable to remove such objects from your sled, you will not be allowed to race.
- Only corrugated cardboard may be used.
- You may not use the following: corrugated plastic or other non-cardboard corrugated materials; non- corrugated cardboard (such as carpet tubes); cardboard that is bonded to other materials; or epoxy reinforced cardboard. If there is any doubt, don’t use it.
- Tapes and glues may be used to hold your sled together.
- You may not use the following: tar-based substances; epoxy glue; fiberglass resin; two-part varnishes or any other two-part substances; glues that harden into solids; screws of any sort or material, mechanical fasteners; nails; staples; or any other material that may be deemed dangerous or may potentially leave hazardous debris on the hill.
- Your sled may not be wrapped in plastic, tape, shrink wrap or anything else. (Note: Your sled can be held together by tape but not wrapped in tape).
- All sleds must be removed from the park and properly disposed of following the race.
- All sleds must be registered in order to participate.
- The pilot must have read and understand the rules.
- All riders must have read and understand the rules.
- If you do not pass inspection, you may not be allowed to participate or may not be allowed on the hill at all.
- All participants in Class I and Class II (age 12 and under) MUST provide and wear protective head gear (i.e. bicycle helmet, ski helmet, etc.)
- No more than 3 occupants will be permitted on your sled at any time.
- To qualify as a finisher, all riders must be in or on their sled rather than chasing it or being chased by it as they come across the finish line.
- Winners will be determined by the overall fastest sled times in each Race Class (Please note that there will be multiple heats per Race Class).
- If you wish to race against someone special, we will attempt to place you together in a heat. Please let us know in advance.
The event is free and open to all ages!